Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Full metadata record
DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorΔαμούλος, Παναγιώτηςel
dc.rightsAttribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States*
dc.subjectΆνω Λάμποβοel
dc.subjectΒόρεια Ήπειροςel
dc.titleΟ ναός της Κοιμήσεως της Θεοτόκου ή του Τιμίου Σταυρού στο Άνω Λάμποβο της Βορείου Ηπείρουel
heal.type.enJournal articleen
heal.type.elΆρθρο περιοδικούel
heal.generalDescriptionσσ. 119-142el
heal.classificationΙερός Ναός Κοιμήσεως της Θεοτόκου (Άνω Λάμποβο, Αλβανία)el
heal.classificationΙερός Ναός Τιμίου Σταυρού (Άνω Λάμποβο, Αλβανία)el
heal.recordProviderΠανεπιστήμιο Ιωαννίνων. Τμήμα Ιστορίας-Αρχαιολογίαςel
heal.bibliographicCitationΠεριλαμβάνει βιβλιογραφικές παραπομπέςel
heal.abstractThe church of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary at Ano Labovo in Northern Epirus belongs to an unusual architectural type which combines a cross-domed church with an ambulatory. More explicity, the ground plan is that of a church with a dome and an ambulatory, whereas the upper part of the construction follows the type of a crossdomed church. A base formed at the meeting point of the four cross arms to support the high cylindrical dome. The eastern part of the church ends in three round apses. At a later period of time an exonarthex along with a portico were added in the western side and some semicircular barrel-vault buildings in the southern side. Moreover, a bell tower was erected at the southwestern corner. The related studies have so far dealt with two essential issues: the identification construction stages and mainly the dating of the erection of the first church. Taking into account the present situation of the monument and the based on the visible upper parts of the construction which lie on top of the subsequent (later) buildings it is concluded that in the initial stage belong: the dome, the western cross arm (main view and southern side) and the northern cross arm (main view and western side) of the cross, the western part of the northern wall as well as part of the northern and southern east side of the prothesis and the diakonicon where limited or lengthy restoration works can be observed in some places. In the year 1776, as we are informed by an inscription in the middle of the external main apse, during the works for the strengthening of the great dome and repairs on the monument which were necessary after the destructive earthquake of the same year, the inside walls were supported with butlresses, the three round apses were reconstructed and also an exonarthex was added. The iconostasis dates from 1805 and a year later in 1806 the ambo and the bishop’s throne were made. It is most likely that the restoration plan for the monument also included the constructions of the western portico, the bell-tower and the outbuildings in the south and the north side. As for the dating of the erection of the first church various propositions have been suggested ranging it from the early tenth century to the thirteenth century. Considering the structural features of the monument in relation to the historical background we estimate that the church in the Northern Epirus could be dated after the 1018, when the Byzantines reconquered the extended area which had been occupied and possessed by the Bulgarians from the ninth century until 1018. The construction of the church could be regarded as a monument of triumph for the projection of the emperor’s victory over the Bulgarians.en
heal.publisherΠανεπιστήμιο Ιωαννίνωνel
heal.journalNameΔωδώνη : επιστημονική επετηρίδα Τμήματος Ιστορίας και Αρχαιολογίας; τ. 45-46 (2016-2017)el
Appears in Collections:Τόμος 45-46 (2016-2017)

This item is licensed under a Creative Commons License Creative Commons