Expression of oncofetal RNA-binding protein CRD-BP/IMP1 predicts clinical outcome in colon cancer (Journal article)

Dimitriadis, E./ Trangas, T./ Milatos, S./ Foukas, P. G./ Gioulbasanis, I./ Courtis, N./ Nielsen, F. C./ Pandis, N./ Dafni, U./ Bardi, G./ Ioannidis, P.


The oncofetal CRD-BP/IMP1 RNA binding protein regulates posttranscriptionally a handful of RNA transcripts, implicated in cell adhesion and invadopodia formation and was recently identified as a target of the beta-catenin/Tcf transcription factor that is constitutively activated in colorectal carcinomas (CRCs). The expression of CRD-BP/IMP1 was studied in normal adult intestines and CRCs. In normal mucosa, CRD-BP/IMP1 immunoreactivity was observed in few scattered cells located predominantly at or near the bottom of the crypts, whereas in CRCs the protein was detectable in tumor cells of 50% of the specimens analyzed. CRD-BP/IMP1 mRNA expression was measured by qRT-PCR in 78 CRCs. Thirty-two (41%) of the specimens were negative or had negligible expression, whereas the remaining forty-six (59%) expressed a wide range of CRD-BP/IMP1 mRNA levels. CRD-BP/IMP1 mRNA expression correlated with that of the putative stem/progenitor cell marker Musashi-1 mRNA (p = 0. 035). CRD-BP/IMP1 positive tumors metastasized and/or recurred more frequently (p = 0.001) and its expression defined a group of patients with shorter survival (p = 0.014). Furthermore, in a multivariate analysis CRD-BP/IMP1 expression was found to be an independent predictor of survival (p = 0.015). For stage I & II patients, the differences in metastasis/recurrence and survival rates remained significant (p = 0.001 and 0.033, respectively). These findings indicate that CRD-BP/IMP1 positive tumors exhibit early disease dissemination and unfavorable prognosis.
Institution and School/Department of submitter: Πανεπιστήμιο Ιωαννίνων. Σχολή Επιστημών και Τεχνολογιών. Τμήμα Βιολογικών Εφαρμογών και Τεχνολογιών
Keywords: Adult,Aged,Aged, 80 and over,Colonic Neoplasms/*metabolism,Female,Gene Expression,Humans,Immunohistochemistry,Intestinal Mucosa/metabolism,Male,Middle Aged,Prognosis,RNA, Messenger/metabolism,RNA-Binding Proteins/*metabolism,Reverse Transc
URI: http://olympias.lib.uoi.gr/jspui/handle/123456789/7714
ISSN: 0020-7136
Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17415713
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1002/ijc.22716/asset/22716_ftp.pdf?v=1&t=h2a39dtf&s=4e5cfbc0e464f8835c0d1e17d5c0ada5d1ebfebd
Appears in Collections:Άρθρα σε επιστημονικά περιοδικά ( Ανοικτά)

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
Dimitriadis-2007-Expression of oncofe.pdf358.81 kBAdobe PDFView/Open    Request a copy



 Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
http://olympias.lib.uoi.gr/jspui/handle/123456789/7714
  This item is a favorite for 0 people.

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.